Research Librarian (Austin, Dallas(preferred) or Houston)
We are assisting an AM 100 law firm in their search for a Research Librarian.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs specialized legal research for lawyers and clients using a variety of electronic and print resources. Projects may include retrieving court documents; locating contact information for individuals; obtaining legal, business, and medical/scientific literature; authenticating cited sources; finding biographical details on judges and counsel; and tracking litigation.
- Conducts in-depth research in a wide range of practice-specific areas of law, business intelligence, public records, legislative history, and news media.
- Performs research on and prepares company and industry profiles in support of business development efforts.
- Delivers basic and advanced library instruction to new lawyers and staff.
- Supports the firm’s usage of legal and business databases by securing passwords, coordinating introductory and recurring training, and trouble-shooting technical issues.
- Maintains relationships with lending libraries and document retrieval services. Manages inter-library loans with participating libraries.
- Assists with collection development by evaluating information needs, research requests, available resources, and usage patterns. Provides input on addition of new resources and removal of resources no longer needed.
- Assists with collection maintenance duties including the ordering and cataloging of books, routing serials, shelving materials, and, periodically, filing updates and loose-leaf materials.
- Assists with financial management of the library by reviewing and confirming invoices, and allocating expenses to the appropriate accounts.
- Other projects and duties as assigned by direct supervisor and other Library Services Managers.
Knowledge and Skills
- Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science or related field and 3 years of experience, or Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 5 years of experience is required. Law or professional services firm experience is preferred.
- Substantial experience using major legal and business databases/research platforms, including but not limited to Westlaw Edge and Monitor Suite, Lexis Advance, Lex Machina, Intelligize, Securities Mosaic, CourtLink, Newsdesk, Bloomberg Law, Docket Navigator, Questel/Orbit, CCH Cheetah; Accurint, S&P Capital IQ, CourthouseNews Plus, RIA Checkpoint, Reorg Research, and ProView eBooks.
- Strong familiarity with basic legal treatises, particularly where to find them online.
- Experience using the Microsoft Office Suite. Strong technical aptitude and ability to learn new applications and research tools quickly.
- Knowledge of the Library of Congress classification scheme.
- Significant experience using automated library systems. Genie Plus or Sydney Plus experience preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously, perform under tight time deadlines, and flexibly adjust to changing priorities.
- Ability to self-manage as well as work as part of virtual team.
Send resume to email@example.com